Because You’re Worth It!
Most of us are taught at a young age the importance of taking care of ourselves. If your mom was like mine, she made sure you ate three meals a day-relatively healthy, went to bed early to get plenty of sleep and participated in daily outdoor ‘play time.’ Even if she didn’t call it ‘healthy living,’ I recognized it and knew even as a little girl, the importance of balance.
Growing up looked a little different for my kids because it was a different generation. There was a sharper focus on healthy eating and I provided the daily activities for my kids, as the world we live in changed. But the importance of early bedtimes never changed. Early bedtimes were as much for mom and dad as they were for the kids.
Essentially, we are talking about balance. Eating healthy and making the right choices, getting plenty of rest, and moving our bodies!
So then, what happens as we get older that we let one or all of these basic essentials of a healthy lifestyle fall away? I know what you’re going to say. I’ve heard all the excuses- ‘I’m too busy! I don’t have time! I’m too busy taking care of everyone else!’ Nope.
If you don’t take time to care for yourself who is? What happens when you’re off balance? You fall down. It’s just a matter of time.
A big buzz word these days is SELF CARE- probably because in the busy-ness of our lives, we can forget or choose to not make ourselves a priority. The definition of Self-care is the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health. Sounds like a no-brainer, simple – so then why does it seem so hard at times? It doesn’t need to!
Here are 10 Self Care Tips:
- Make an appointment with yourself daily for physical activity. What do you like to do? What time works for you? Figure it out, make time and keep it like you would an appointment or a meeting.
2. Make healthier eating choices – I hate the word diet. It’s all about choices. Eating cleaner, fresher foods. Look at one thing you could change that would make a difference in how you feel- it could be eliminating late night snacking, eating more vegetables, smaller portions – it’s just being proactive and putting some thought into better choices. Start by doing one thing.
3. Drink more water – get a big fun glass and keep it full of ice and water all day long. You’ll get to where you crave your water all day long!
4. Make time for positive down time – what do you like to do? Spend time doing something that you like – Read . Watch a movie. Catch up with a loved one on the phone.
5. Get plenty of sleep! We need 7-9 hours a night. Some people require fewer hours, but generally, we don’t get enough. It’s important enough to plan your day and activities so you are able to get to bed at a good time.
6. Stay up to date on all your medical and dental appointments.
7. Find PEACE in your day. Stress does bad things to our body, mind and spirit. Whatever PEACE looks like to you-seek it.
8. Empower yourself by learning something new. I personally, like to keep learning about my passion for health and fitness so I recently became certified as a Silver Sneakers instructor. It helps me in my profession as well as enriching my life.
9. I’m a Christian, so I make time for God. Prayer time, devotions, spending time in the word.
10. Giving back. I know nothing feels better than helping someone else.